🍁Why the Fall Is A Great Time to KonMari🍁
There are a couple of reasons the Fall is such a good time to start KonMari!
First of all, it’s likely that if you start the KonMari Method now, you may be finished by the beginning of the New Year. Start 2019 with a fresh outlook and an organized home. How awesome does that sound?!
Secondly, at this point, you have probably begun sorting through your Summer clothes and are getting ready to swap them out with your Fall sweaters and all the big, heavy outerwear that goes along with the colder weather.
Now, in a perfect world, we would be able to keep all our clothing in our closets and drawers all year round without putting things away for change of the season. But, for many of us city dwellers, we will just need off season, and maybe off-site, storage due to space constraints.
KonMari gives us the framework for minimizing the amount of space we are using for storage by asking us to consider if each item truly Sparks Joy.
Before you pack away those Summer clothes and put your Fall and Winter wardrobe into rotation, KonMari this category!
Pull them out of all the closets and drawers that have held them for the warm months and examine each one.
· Did you wear during the last Summer?
· Did you keep it unworn in the drawer all year, never having the right occasion or situation to wear it?
· Did you pass it over for something you liked more?
· Is it something that you love and you feel confident you will wear again next Summer?
· Is it in good condition? Does it need repair or cleaning? Don’t put away anything that is not ready to be used again. If you aren’t committed to the item enough to take care of it, it’s likely it’s not really working for you.
If you love it or believe it to be very useful, then pack it away with care to be embraced with the warm weather of next year.
Now, you are ready to look at the Fall and Winter clothes!
In many ways, you will be applying the same type of criteria that you did for your Summer clothes.
· Are you happy to see the item again and are you looking forward to wearing it again?
· Is it in good condition, clean and ready to put in your closet?
· Is it an item that is so specialized that you doubt you will find use for it? If it’s skiwear, but you haven’t skied in 10 years, maybe skiing is just not a part of your life any longer.
· Do your Fall and Winter items fit into the space you have allocated for them? If you have too many coats or sweaters to fit nicely in the space, will it be a challenge to get them in and out of the closet every time you need them?
If you are like most people, you will likely find that you are not wearing as many of the seasonal items as you may imagine.
Give yourself permission to let things go that are not working for you any longer, or that never worked for you in the first place. There’s great freedom in surrounding yourself only with things you love and find useful.
By applying the principles of KonMari to your seasonal clothing, swapping then out each year will be less stressful and more joyful!
Don’t Forget to Elevate Your Environment!